Friday, June 16, 2017

Mike's death

I talked to Mike's mother and sister yesterday. They both confirmed what I suspected. Mike died of alcohol poisoning.
Three days had passed before his body was found in his house. What's more, his younger sister died 8 months after Mike died.
I haven't missed Mike for a long time, but he was a significant part of my past, so there is a bit of a grieving process that goes along with his death.
As I was talking to his mom, I was reminded of the insanity that went along with my relationship with Mike. I was also reminded of how tragic and sick his entire family is.
There are consequences for our behavior. It's easy to be deluded into believing that our decisions won't lead to tragedy; that we will stop whatever self-destructive behavior we are involved in before something really bad happens. Unfortunately, that is not always the case.
God has given each of us freedom to make choices, but our choices have earthly and eternal consequences.

As Paul said in 1Corinthians 10:23; "Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive."

No comments:

Post a Comment