Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Lies vs Truth

This past week in my Bible study, "The Weight of Grace," I prayed for God to reveal the lies I am believing about food, weight and God. I then wrote the lies I am believing on one side of the paper and then wrote the corresponding truth next to each lie. Here is some of what God revealed to me:

1. Lie- I need food to comfort me when I am angry, lonely, scared or hurt
    Truth- "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort who comforts me in all my troubles" (2 Cor. 1:3&4a).

2. Lie- Sitting through temptation is too difficult.
    Truth- "No temptation has seized me except that which is common to man, and God is faithful. He will not let me be tempted beyond what I can bear, and when tempted he will provide a way out so that I can stand up under it" (1 Cor. 10:13).

3. Lie- I can't trust that God will protect me if I lose weight.
    Truth- "The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold" (Psalm 18:2).

4. Lie- Being thin/losing weight makes me a success.
    Truth- My worth is based on what Jesus did for me on the cross.

5. Lie- I will never be free from compulsive overeating.
    Truth- I am no longer a slave to sin, because anyone who has died has been freed from sin (Romans 6:6b&7).
     Truth- "It is for freedom that Christ has set me free" (Galatians 5:1).

6. Lie- Food fills the void that is inside of me.
    Truth- God satisfies my desires with good things (Psalm 103:5).

7. Lie- God is not sufficient to meet my needs.
    Truth- God's grace is sufficient for me. His power is made perfect in my weakness (2 Cor. 12:9a).

8. Lie- I don't know how to not either diet or compulsively overeat.
    Truth- "If I lack wisdom, I should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to me" (James 1:5).

9. Lie- Being fat protects me because I don't take as many risks when I am fat.
    Truth- "God is my hiding place. He will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance" (Psalm 32:7).

10. Lie- Men do not look twice at fat women.
      Truth- True godly men find women lovely because of Christ living inside of them.

11. Lie- I am not acceptable like this.
      Truth- "For God chose me in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. God predestined me to be adopted as his daughter through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will" (Ephesians 1:4&5).

No comments:

Post a Comment