Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Book

Here is a random gobbet from my book:
I attended first grade at a Catholic school called Christ the King. It was traumatizing. My teacher was a nun. Her name was Miss Sister Bernard.
Many people probably envision a nun as sweet, gentle and gracious. Miss Sister Bernard was the polar opposite. She played against every stereotypical image that one might have of a nun. She was mean, angry and violent.
She hit her students on a regular basis. Also, after recess, we would come back into the school building, and line up by the water fountain. Even on very hot days, Miss Sister Bernard would yell, "Only two or three sips!" If we tried to take an extra sip, she would either yell at us or swat us on the behind.
The most terrifying day of my first grade year happened around the middle of the school year. One of the boys in my class and myself had to stay after school to finish an art project. The boy's name was David Brou, and he was handicapped. He wore coke bottle thick eyeglasses, and had already been through a number of surgeries to try to repair various physical defects.
David and I were sitting at a table working on our art projects, and Miss Sister Bernard was sitting at her desk at the front of the classroom. David was making a stick-like figure out of construction paper. When David couldn't find the "eye" he had made out of the construction paper, he began to cry very hard and very loud. Miss Sister Bernard got up from her desk, dragged David into the boys restroom, and started beating him.
I sat in my chair frozen in fear, while listening to his screams of pain and terror as Miss Sister Bernard hit him over and over again.

Scripture Verse:
"I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty" ( 2 Corinthians 6:18).

No comments:

Post a Comment