Thursday, July 27, 2017

Accountability and Friendship

Today, I had lunch with one of my closest friends and accountability partner, Susie Howell.

Having her as my friend and accountability partner has been a gift from God.

I can tell her anything, and I know I will get wise godly counsel without a hint of judgement.

A few years ago, I did the 12 steps of recovery through my church. Two of the steps are making a fearless moral inventory ( step 4), and confessing all of your wrongdoings to God and another person ( step 5).
I did my 5th step with Susie. I had led a very immoral and sinful life, and I confessed every detail of it to Susie. It took hours, but she just sat listening with loving patience.
It is so freeing to have at least one person who you can reveal your entire self to, and there will be no judgement. There is only godly direction, and the  imparting of Biblical truths.
Having an accountability partner is also Biblical concept. Please
Galatians 6:2 says, "Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ."
James 5:16 says, "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed."

God commands us to carry each other's burdens to confess our sins to each other.

In order to live by the Holy Spirit, it is imperative to have accountability. God did not intend for us to journey through this life on our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment