Saturday, July 8, 2017

Apologetics Group

We had our Apologetics group today at Java Dave's. I had never been to Java Dave's before. It is a very cute coffee shop in Downtown Edmond.
We had a new man in our group today. We talked about morality, the reliability of science, and how to prove the reliability of the Gospels. We discussed the archaeological evidence in support of the Gospels and the possibility of actually using science to argue (unproven) scientific data.
We also threw out some ideas about how to reach middle school and high school students. Many times, students walk away from the faith when they enter college. Universities are notoriously liberal. College students who express their faith in Christ and declare the authority of Scripture, can be made to feel foolish. They can be ostracized for standing firm in the faith and not conforming to the world's standards.
I remember when I took Political and Social Philosophy a few years ago. I was the only student in the class who believed in Creation. Every other student and the professor believed in evolution. When I openly shared what I believe, I was ostracized by the other students and the professor.
They declared my belief in Creation to be illogical and lacking evidence.
It was so intimidating that I didn't attempt to make a defense for what I believe.
If we can reach students before they enter college, they will be better equipped to handle any opposition that will invariably come their way.

Scripture verse:
"Be merciful to those who doubt" Jude 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment