Tuesday, May 30, 2017

New Bible Study

I started a new Bible study today at Scope Ministries. It's called "The Weight of Grace."
It's about experiencing the freedom from overeating that we already have.
Some of the chapter titles are:
God wants you to have freedom
Emotions and overeating
Why diets don't work, especially for Christians

From the first chapter there are several points where I feel like the Holy Spirit is really speaking to me.
1. As Christians, by virtue of our rebirth in Christ, we have a new nature, and one of the attributes of that new nature is self-control ( Galatians 5:23).
2. A Christian's self control is the natural outgrowth of the inward presence of the Holy Spirit. When we act in ways that are not good for our bodies or are not self-controlled, we are not "being ourselves."

A truth that is difficult for me to comprehend is that I am already free from the bondage of overeating. I am not in the process of being free; I am already free. The reason I continue to struggle with overeating, is that I still don't fully accept my new identity in Christ, which clearly states in Scripture that I am a brand new creation ( 2 Corinthians 5:17).

There are numerous Scripture verses that let me know that I already have freedom over sin. Here are just a few:
"To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood" ( Revelation 1:5).
"You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness" ( Romans 6:18).
"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free" ( Galatians 5:1).

No comments:

Post a Comment