Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Chapter 10

Here is an excerpt from chapter 10 of my book:

After the epidural had worn off, I went to the nursery to see the twins. As soon as I saw them, I started crying. I knew my time with them was limited.
Upon seeing me cry, my mother, never one to be able to handle sadness or grief of any kind, attempts to avoid witnessing my grief. She walks away from the cribs where my twins were sleeping, and walks over to crib where someone else's baby is sleeping. In a feeble attempt to divert my attention elsewhere, she loudly exclaimed, "Look how cute this baby is over here!" Needless to say, I couldn't have cared less about any other babies in the nursery other than my own. But my mother would have tried just about anything, no matter how futile, to escape her grief, not to mention, her own.
Something that is rather amusing is that my mother was actually capable of handling physical pain. When I told her my ass was on fire from the episiotomy, she tranformed into this incredibly maternal woman. She rushed to fetch a rectal donut for me to sit on, and kept pestering me about taking a sitz bath in order to alleviate my burning "rectum."
For some reason, my mother insisted on using the word rectum and I absolutely cringed every time she said it. After about the fourth attempt to get me to soak in a sitz bath, I informed her that there was no way I was sitting in a tub where a hundred other asses had sat.
She said, "Well, okay but it would really help your rectum." I answered back, "Listen! Will you please stop using the word rectum?" She asked, "What's wrong with the word rectum?"
Technically, there was really nothing wrong with the word. But considering my precarious emotional state, at the time, almost anything, including something as minute as hearing the word rectum one time too many, could have sent me over the edge.

Scripture verse:
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful. I know that full well. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be" Psalm 139:13,14&16.

No comments:

Post a Comment