Friday, April 7, 2017

Genesis 25

I was reading a section from Lysa Terkeurst's book "Made to Crave."
She quoted Genesis 25:29-34:

"Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished. He said to Jacob, 'Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I'm famished!
Jacob replied, 'First sell me your birthright to me.'
'Look I am about to die,' Esau said.
'What good is my birthright to me?'
But Jacob said, 'Swear to me first.' So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob.
Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left
So Esau despised his birthright

By using these particular verses is to illustrate how much Esau gave up for just a few moments of physical satisfaction. Esau gave up his inheritance rights that favored him as the firstborn son of Isaac. Esau put immediate gratification before his long-term interests.

I think about how many times I have done the same thing and all the blessings I may have missed because of it.

Esau was meant for more and so are we!

No comments:

Post a Comment