Monday, April 3, 2017

Chapter 2

I just finished chapter 2 of my book and I thought i would post an excerpt.

"Around the age of ten, my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder started manifesting in different ways. I started obsessing about animal abuse. I had explicit thoughts that would mentally torment me. My mother bought tabloid magazines every week, and the Enquirer would regularly have articles about specific cases of animal abuse.
One of the first articles I saw was how they eat dogs in the Philippines. Along with the article, there were graphic photos. After I saw that article, almost every waking moment was consumed by thoughts of those images. Along with the grief I felt about the dogs, I was also terrified, because I couldn't stop thinking about it. Moreover, I felt obligated to think about it, because in my mind, I reasoned that if there are animals suffering this much, then why do I deserve to be happy? It was a kind of solidarity with something (animals) that I loved more than anything else. My rationalization was; if there are animals suffering, I needed to think about it constantly in order to join them in their suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment