Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Chapter 3

Here is an excerpt from chapter 3 of my book, "Not Mine Alone"

My junior year Homecoming dance was in March 1987. I went with a boy, named Billy Coleman.
There was a party before the  dance, and Billy and I drove in my car to the party. By this time, my eating disorder had significantly progressed, so I had not eaten anything for two days to make sure that I looked great in my dress.
At the party, I drank two large glasses of wine. Drinking that much wind on an empty stomach caused the alcohol to take effect very quickly and very intensely.
When the party was over, Billy , who was also drunk, but not as much as I was, drive us, in my car, to the dance. When we drove into the school parking lot, I told Billy I needed to throw up. He said he would take me to a residential area off school grounds so I could throw up.
Billy backed the car up, and hit what he thought was a speed bump, but in actuality was a curb that led into a very deep ditch. He pressed on the accelerator to go over the "speed bump," and we ended up in the ditch.
Little did I know that the school headmaster and the head of the English department had seen the entire incident.
In a complete daze, I looked out my window, and saw them standing outside my door. They opened my door, and the head of the English department took a hold of my arm, since I was so drunk I could barely walk at all, let alone walk up a very steep ditch.
They took Billy and I into the principles office and called our parents. As dramatic as ever, I started hysterically crying. I have no memory of what my parents said when they walked into the principles office. This was thirty years ago, and I was blackout drunk.
I got suspended from school for a week, and since Billy was driving, he got expelled.
The next day, I told my parents that I had drank very little wine, but since I had not yet eaten dinner, what little wine I had drank, made me very drunk. I had become such a good liar, that they believed every word of what I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment