Sunday, August 13, 2017

Self-discipline vs Self-control

In the bible study I am doing, "The Weight of Grace", the author asks the us to read the Addendum that is in the back of the book titled, "Self-Disciplined Religion", by Malcolm Smith.

Malcolm Smith describes the difference between self-discipline and self-control. I thought it was very compelling and I wanted to share a few bullet points from the article.

Self-discipline:


  • Self-discipline is an imposition. It comes from the outside. I impose or let someone else impose a certain law upon me.
  • It's an imposition upon my inner desires, my inner lusts. I will do what I am "supposed" to do. I grit my teeth and say I won't do this or that. I'm going to twist my arm, and make myself do what I don't want to do. 
  • Self-discipline is about, "you should," you must," and "you ought."
  • The Pharisees were into self-discipline. They were all about appearance. They shared that in common with every other religion in the world. Jesus went to the Pharisees of His day and in Matthew 23 He says, "You blind Pharisees, first clean the inside of the cup and of the dish, so that the outside of it may become clean also."
  • Self-discipline is an action of the flesh; the desire to live independently from God.
Self-control:

  • Self-control is listening to the Holy Spirit. It is not a law imposed on me from the outside. It's listening to who I now am in Christ.
  • When the flesh calls me, I say, "You are not me. You have been crucified with Christ. I am not confessing this to make it happen. I am confessing it because it has already happened.
  • Self-control is about living out who I really am. It's not changing my flesh. That's already been crucified. It's exchanging. I exchange and let Christ live.
  • Self-control is a response to the voice of the Spirit within.
Titus 2:11-12 says, "For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men. It teaches us to say 'no' to ungodliness and wordly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age" (emphasis mine).



No comments:

Post a Comment