Monday, August 21, 2017

Religion vs The Gospel

Yesterday, I attended the first of two Covenant Membership classes at Bridgeway Church. The Pastors gave each of us a handout written by Timothy Keller, where he outlines the differences between religion vs The Gospel. I think it's a great reference to have.

1.) Religion- "I obey; therefore I'm accepted."
     Gospel- "I'm accepted; therefore I obey."

2.) Religion- Motivation is based on fear and insecurity.
     Gospel- Motivation is based on grateful joy.

3.) Religion- I obey God in order to get things from God.
     Gospel- I obey to resemble God.

4.) Religion- When circumstances in my life go wrong, I am angry at God or myself, since I believe, like Job's friends, that anyone who is good deserves a comfortable life.
     Gospel- When circumstances in my life go wrong, I struggle, but I know that while God may allow this for my training, he will exercise his fatherly love within my trial.

5.) Religion- When I am criticized, I am furious or devastated because it is essential for me to think of myself as a "good person."
     Gospel- When I am criticized, I struggle, but it is not essential for me to think of myself as a "good person." My identity is not built on my performance but on God's love for me in Christ.

6.) Religion- My prayer life consists largely of petition and only heats up when I am in need. My main purpose is to control my circumstances.
     Gospel- My prayer life consists of generous amounts of praise and adoration. My main purpose is fellowship with him.

7.) Religion-My self-view swings between two poles. If and when I am living up to my standards, I feel confident, but then I am prone to be proud and unsympathetic to people who fail. If and when I am not living up to my standards, I feel humble but not confident-I feel like a failure.
     Gospel- My self-view is not based on a view of myself as a moral achiever. In Christ I am at once sinful and lost, yet accepted. I am so bad he had to die for me, and so loved he was glad to die for me.

8.) Religion- My identity is based mainly on how hard I work or how moral I am, so I must look down on those I perceive as lazy or immoral. I disdain and feel superior to others.
      Gospel- My identity is centered on the One who died for his enemies, including me. Only by sheer grace am I what I am, so I can't look down on those who believe or practice something different from me. I have no inner need to win an argument.

9.) Religion- Since I look to my pedigree or performance for my spiritual acceptability,my heart manufactures idols. They are my main hope, meaning, happiness, security, and significance.
     Gospel- I have many good things in life-family, work, etc., but none of these good things are ultimate things to me. I don't absolutely have to have them, so there is a limit to how much anxiety, bitterness and despair they can inflict on me when they are threatened or lost.


No comments:

Post a Comment