Friday, December 15, 2017

Prevenient Grace

For one of my classes, I wrote a paper entitled, "The Calvinism Conflict."

In a nut shell, Calvinism says that God predetermined before the beginning of the world, who would be saved (the elect) and who would not be saved. 

I wrote this paper to refute Calvinism. I used the 5 point of Calvinism which are:

T- total deprivation
U-unmerited favor
L-limited atonement
I-irresistible grace
P-perseverance of the saints.

This is referred to as TULIP Calvinism. I don't disagree with every aspect of Calvinism, but there are many elements, of the doctrine, that I think are in contradiction to Scripture.

When my professor commented on my paper (which I got an A on 😀) he explained to me about Prevenient Grace. It is the doctrine of John Wesley:

It's true that on our own we are unable to reach out to God for salvation. Prevenient Grace (the grace that "comes before") maintains that God is always and constantly reaching out to all persons, offering grace that enables us to hear the Gospel and respond. 

Not that we naturally or innately have "free will," but God offers "free grace" that enables us to freely make a willful decision. 

It is "freed will" rather than "free will."

Love this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment